Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Me Talk Pretty - Part I

With apologies to David Sedaris, a continuing series describing things that I find difficult to talk about in Arabic:

Brunch

As far as I know, Arabic's root system doesn't really accommodate portmanteau words. There is no meal called "fatghada" (brunch) that can be eaten with a "mirhawka" (spork). So I could only describe my post-lesson brunch plans as follows: "it is a chance to eat a very big breakfast with more meat. We eat it after the usual time of lunch. My friends love this because they arise late on Saturdays and Sundays. Because we live in New York, there is a requirement to wait in a long line." I didn't mention the "bottomless Bloody Mary," a discussion which would have been sure to cause offense on many levels.

Desalination Plants

I offered the idea of solar powered desalination plants as a solution to Egypt's growing population/water issues. I described this as a system where "the government steals salt from the water of the ocean and the government is able to do this because the sun in Egypt is very hot and the desert in Egypt is very spacious. There will be a big wall for the sun that is doing these things. Doing this the government does not need very much olive oil!"

Population crisis? Solved.

The Plot of the movie "Inception"

Not easy to do in any language, but the highlight of my attempt was explaining how "a man of business puts a team of idea people into the brain of another, bigger man of business. Inside his brain, they grow a new idea. There are many problems and much quarreling. Also, there is skiing inside the head."

3 comments:

  1. It doesn't seem to be. I made up a new account knockingaboutegypt@gmail.com You should be able to write to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, good. I sent you a message from voila.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love David Sedaris, so of course this cracked me up too. Secretly, however, I am jealous that you talk so pretty. Me? I can almost count to three in Arabic.

    ReplyDelete