Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Grand Plan

If it's not obvious already, I'm trying to learn Arabic. I'm doing this in part because I have a genuine interest in learning the language - I'd love access to all of those centuries of great literature, so much of which has never made it into translation. In Egypt, everyone who asked me why I'd choose to study Arabic naturally assumed that I was some sort of spy. I'd protest that I was actually joining the State Department, but that was really too fine a distinction for people who associate the word "State" with their own massive security services.

The truth, though, is that a huge motivating factor is all of the tasty bonus points I can earn from Arabic's status as a "Super Critical Needs Language." A score of at least "2" on the Interagency Language Roundtable scale would add an additional 0.5 points to my Oral Assessment score. For people like me with a score on the lower end of the range, the language points mean the difference between hope and the security of choosing a guaranteed start date on our own terms.

I've spent most of the past year studying independently, including stints in Morocco and Egypt. Over the last few months, it's just been me and my tutors at Arab Academy, a program that has led to success on the test before. Unfortunately(ish), I've recently returned to full-time work as a federal judicial clerk (once again practicing law properly!) which has taken a shocking amount of time away from my studies. Still, it's coming along. I'm starting to think I may have some hope of passing is thing, which seems incredible given that this time last year I didn't know my alif from my baa.

Since the requirements of "adulthood" require me to take a break from traveling for a while, I'll have to turn the discussion over to the adventures of learning Arabic. And what an adventure it is. I do miss being on the road, though. I don't mind admitting that hearing the call to prayer in the background during a session with my Cairo-based tutor made me a little nostalgic. I'll find out next week whether waking up for a 7:00 AM tutoring session in any way resembles the unpleasantness of being woken up every day by a blasting sunrise call to prayer.

2 comments:

  1. Two of my tutors are ex Arab Academy guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following your blog - sorry about the bad news, being so close to passing, especially when you would have been assured a near-immediate offer, must be difficult. This is, as they say, a process.

    Former Arab Academy guys? I'm always looking for good recommendations for skype lessons and the like. I don't like to tell my current employer this, but Arabic acquisition remains my number one goal this year.

    So what was your language experience before beginning this process? Those are very impressive assessment scores for Arabic. Also, I understand that they'll remain a part of your file for the next five years, so onward to the next candidacy!

    Best,
    Chadha
    knockingabout@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete