Wednesday, March 03, 2010

An End to Photos

I brought an old laptop to Egypt under the impression that I could afford to lose it. That impression has been put to the test, because it's gone.

It doesn't look like the poor old girl was up to handling the vagaries of the Egyptian electrical system. Probable cause of death: a rogue power surge.

I'll still be able to update through my iPhone, but won't be able to upload any photos until I'm back in Brooklyn this April. This will change the quality of the blog in the following ways:

1) It won't be as pretty;

2) I will spell things incorrectly more often; and

3) I will exaggerate even more outlandishly to compensate for number 1 above.

Tonight, I'm off to learn how to play 'tawla' at a cafe in Zamalek. I'm not sure whether tawla is just the Arabic name for backgammon or if they are completely different games altogether. I don't the rules of either of them, so it doesn't really matter. I've been wanting to buy one of the beautiful inlaid backgammon/tawla boards I've seen in shop windows, and understanding the game that's played on one makes a purchase much easier to justify.

I do know at some point during the night that I'll have to pour one out for my defunct Acer Aspire S100. We took the bar exam together, you know. It broke down that day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment